Infographic: Rodent Bait Safety
Rodenticides are pesticides that kill rodents, including mice and rats. They are often formulated as baits with attractive substances like peanut butter or molasses. Rodenticide baits can provide short-term control of rodent infestations. People, pets, and wildlife are very similar to rodents, so they can also be poisoned by rodenticides. Recent changes to rodenticide regulations limit the availability of more toxic baits for home use.
Keep these tips in mind when using rodenticides:
- If you choose to use rodent bait, always follow the label, it's the law.
- Identify your rodent first. Some bait types are more effective for certain species than others.
- Try a combination of control methods. Consider prevention, sanitation, and exclusion before using a rodenticide. Then try a lower toxicity product first.
- Rodent baits can be attractive and dangerous to kids, pets and wildlife. Always store pesticides in a cool, dry place that's not accessible to children and pets.
- Use bait stations, rather than broadcast rodenticides, to minimize access for children and pets.
- Use gloves when disposing of dead rodents. Secure trash cans to minimize pet or wildlife access to poisoned rodents.
- Many rodenticide baits can be toxic to wildlife if they are eaten, or if an animal eats a rodent that was recently poisoned. If you suspect an animal may have been poisoned, please contact NPIC at 800-858-7378 to talk with a Pesticide Specialist.
If you have questions about this, or any pesticide-related topic, please call NPIC at 800-858-7378 (8:00am - 12:00pm PST), or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rodenticide Poisoning in Humans:
Rodenticide Poisoning in Pets and Wildlife:
Last updated April 14, 2022