1.800.858.7378 npic@ace.orst.edu
We're open from 8:00AM to 12:00PM Pacific Time, Mon-Fri

Food and Drinking Water Limits for Pesticides

The EPA sets the legal limits for the amount of pesticides allowed in food and drinking water. In food, those limits are called "tolerances." In water, those limits may be called Maximum Contaminant Levels (MCLs), health advisories (HA), or other names. The amount of pesticide allowed in water is specifically regulated for some pesticides, while health advisories are issued for others. For more information on the pesticide limits in water or food, see the resources below.

You can use the eCFR search tool to find tolerances for food published in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)

Our tolerance search tool has been discontinued and replaced by a search tool on the federal eCFR page. You can search for active ingredients or food commodities there.

If you have questions about this, or any pesticide-related topic, please call NPIC at 1-800-858-7378 (8:00am - 12:00pm PST), or email at npic@ace.orst.edu.

Additional Resources:

Last updated May 02, 2018

Related Topics:

What are pests?

Learn about a pest

Identify a pest

Control a pest

Integrated Pest Management

What are pesticides?





Natural and Biological Pesticides



Other types of pesticides

Facebook Twitter Youtube