1.800.858.7378 npic@ace.orst.edu
We're open from 8:00AM to 12:00PM Pacific Time, Mon-Fri

Pesticide General Permit (PGP)

A permit is now required for certain pesticide applications made to waters of the United States. The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has issued a NPDES Pesticide General Permit (PGP), which covers point source discharges of pesticides in certain areas. The remaining states and the Virgin Islands are not covered by the EPA issued PGP. These states are authorized to develop and issue their own NPDES pesticide permits which can be more, but not less, restrictive than the EPA's PGP. If you need information about how to obtain a permit, you can find local contacts here.

What does the EPA Pesticide General Permit (PGP) Cover?

The PGP covers only those pesticide applications where pesticides will be applied into "waters of the U.S." and which fall into certain usage categories, including:

Specific use patterns not covered by the PGP may not require a permit. For example, agricultural storm water runoff and irrigation return flow do not require a permit under federal rules.

What is required of me by the EPA Pesticide General Permit (PGP)?

In addition to following the label directions, the permit requires the applicator to:

This is the minimum list of requirements. Your state-issued permit might include additional steps. Find a contact person in your state for more information.

If you have questions about this, or any pesticide-related topic, please call NPIC at 800-858-7378 (8:00am - 12:00pm PST), or email at npic@ace.orst.edu.

Additional Resources:

Last updated September 22, 2020

Related Topics:

What are pests?

Learn about a pest

Identify a pest

Control a pest

Integrated Pest Management

What are pesticides?





Natural and Biological Pesticides



Other types of pesticides

Facebook Twitter Youtube